Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Dream

In response to a friend telling me about the death of another friend's mother...


A year ago I would have read about Julie's loss and sort of nodded in a
"yeah, that's too bad," kind of way. But my own Dad died 6 months ago,
young too, 78, of cancer and since then I'm fairly speechless when I hear news like this.

The rug that was pulled out from under me hasn't been replaced
with any sage thoughts on the matter. It's just plain old sad is what
it is.

Last night I dreamed that my Mom had put some of Dad's things on
a table for giveaway. Crappy stuff of no value, like if someone had
emptied the dish on my desk that houses assorted pencils, loose
change, buttons and paper clips. My Dad was there, and though he
looked well, I knew he was dying. I saw a scarf of his, some
slippers. "Can I have these Dad?" I asked him. He shrugged, sure.
Those things didn't matter to him anymore, they never did.

They didn't matter to me either, though it was all I had to take away.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

*hug*

i still miss my dad. 22 years has passed and i think of him every day.

dweezila said...

everyday huh, wow. Kathleen, i love the photos of your kids. They're really beautiful. Thanks for the comments. Good to hear from you.